Hello, my lovelies! It feels like it has been forever since I last wrote, but now that I’m finished with grad school and teaching for a while, it’s time to get serious about reading for pleasure. This past year I’ve read A LOT of Shakespeare and composition theorists and not nearly enough romances, mysteries, literary fiction, or young adult novels. I know, GASP!, right?
So here are my choices for this summer’s selection. Will I get to all of these? Doubtful—highly doubtful. And, of course, I’ll add to the list as a book or books strike my fancy, as they inevitably do over the summer time. But for now, here are the main contenders.
I’m starting with literary fiction because I’ve already started The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. This book has been on everyone’s lips ever since Hulu came out with its adaptation, which I refuse to watch until I’ve read the book. I’m one of those, ya know? Anyway, so far, so good. I’m enjoying the unraveling of this story piece by piece. Oh, and if you’re interested in the audiobook, Book Riot just had a story on audiobooks, and apparently this book’s audiobook is read by Claire Danes, if you prefer audio.
Here’s a list of the other potential stars for 2017:
- A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
- A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
- Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
- Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler—A holdover from 2016, but it was so popular I couldn’t get it through the library until I was elbows deep in composition theorists for my thesis. 😦
- Lab Girl by Hope Jahren
- My (Not So) Perfect Life by Sophia Kinsella
Rollovers from last year (ahem, and the year before)
- Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye
- Modern Lovers by Emma Straub
- Beatrice and Benedick by Marina Fiorato
- Epitaph by Marie Doria Russell
- Wolf Hall and Bringing Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
- The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan
- We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas
- Mrs. Poe by Lynn Cullen
- Fever by Mary Beth Keane
- The Girls at the Kingfisher Club by Genevieve Valentine
- Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
- Belzhar by Meg Wolitzer
- The Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer
- The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
So, now that I’ve developed an impossible-to-meet list for the summer, I guess I’ll get started reading! Until next time, my dears, enjoy your summer books!
Ta-ta for now,